With the aid of a good Android head unit, your phone can do just about anything you need, especially in the car!
Whether you’re looking for a new android head unit to replace that “broken” factory unit in your ride, or you want to make an easy upgrade for the latest in 2016 technology, then for sure one of these android auto head units will meet your needs.
I’ve put together the absolute best android auto head units on the market. Take a look!
|Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S Multimedia Receiver||Best Overall|
|BOSS Audio Systems BVCP9675A Car Multimedia Player||Budget Pick|
1. Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S Multimedia Receiver
- Retains and is compatible with most previous steering-wheel control features
- Adds Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity
- Offers good array of audio sources, including SiriusXM satellite radio, HD radio, and HD-compatible music streaming
- Appealing, user-friendly interface
When it comes to car entertainment, nothing beats the Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S Multimedia Receiver with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto. It's the best android auto unit available right now, thanks to its features.
This head unit gives you the ability to control the various functions of your car directly from the receiver screen. This means you can make calls and answer messages, all while keeping your focus on the road.
The unit also has access to a comprehensive library of cars apps and features, though you'll need a subscription to certain apps like AccuWeather and iHeart Radio.
2. JVC D.Din 6.8" Touchscreen AM/FM/CD/BT Mechless SiriusXM Apple Car Play &Android Auto
- The sound quality is great
- A number of ports to hook up the device
- Fantastic display
- Easy to use
- The subwoofer is quite powerful
Radio with 10cm Subwoofer,USB/AUX/Satellite/AM/FM Tuner.
The only lacking features are the 6.5" GPS Navigation and SD Card Slot
This touchscreen radio is making a huge difference in a lot of people’s lives because of its easy-to-use interface and impressive sound.
3. Alpine ILX-207
- Great value
- Automatic and manual brightness adjustment
- The sound quality is pristine
- Back up camera is a great plus point
This one is one of the best in the business. Although it’s not cheap, it gives you great value for your money. The setup is not difficult and takes just a few minutes. The sound quality is crystal clear in all the ranges you could ever expect. It’s the best of the best.
It comes with a dual camera and is one of the best car audio systems when it comes to audio quality. It’s also one of the most popular choices on Amazon and has received high ratings from the users so far.
The Alpine Back Up Camera is a huge plus point. So, if you always park your car in a crowded or dark area, it’s necessary to have a camera attached. You’ll never have to worry about your car bumping into another one. Another huge plus point is the auto and manual brightness adjustment.
4. Pioneer AVH-3300NEX 7" Flip Out DVD Receiver
- Nice size
- Great resolution
- Easy to connect
- Cool features I'm always plugging it in and out of my car for my own personal reasons that I'll probably go over in the reviews on Amazon.
- Menu screen is a little tricky to get around
- Button placements make it hard to use on the fly.
My personal favorite Android Auto head unit is the Pioneer AVH-3300NEX in the 7 inch model.
This model has an incredibly clear touchscreen, and great resolution. I haven't had a single issue with it and find myself always playing it in my car for personal reasons but I think I'll make it into a review.
This is a great head unit if you aren't looking for a huge screen or a 9 inch head unit. If you have a DVD player in your car, you can remove it with this head unit. I also like the fact you can make calls hands free with the built in microphone.
5. Pioneer AVH-4201NEX Double-DIN Multimedia DVD Car Stereo
- For beginners with moderate experience levels in the Android Auto field, the AVH-4201NEX is a good starter kit.
- It is not just a fancy unit, but it has excellent support from the company.
- It is perfect for the current and the future generations of Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
- The screen colors are not that great and are sometimes washed out.
- The sound quality can be described as good, but there is no such thing as a perfect stereo.
The AVH-4201NEX does not miss out on any features, but is still quite affordable. If you are looking for a feature-filled unit, but don’t want to break the bank, this is the one for you.
The primary reason to buy this Android Auto unit is its support for the future updates. For the current generation, it comes with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, and also Bluetooth. The list doesn’t end there, as it has support for other options such as RCA audio output, Sirius XM Radio, CD player, DVD player, Siri Eyes Free compatibility, and many others.
6. Sony XAV-AX100 6.4" Car Play/Android Auto Media Receiver
- Excellent sound quality and controls
- Large 6.4" screen
- Comes with car mounts and other accessories
- Sony’s app was a little disappointing
- Screen can be hard to see in direct sunlight
Sony’s car audio line usually comes in at the upper end of the market, but its XAV-AX100 in particular is a nice choice for an entry-level Android Auto head unit. This little media receiver gives you a large 4.2" touchscreen display and support for the HDR10 standard so it’ll look great playing your videos and music. The XAV-AX100 is reasonably easy to use with control buttons and a color LCD display.
The sound quality of this unit is fantastic, and the interface has been optimized for car use. For example, you’ll be able to see album artwork when it’s playing. With that said, the Android Auto app that comes with it has been a bit of a letdown. The app is slow to load, and doesn’t have a lot of features associated with it. That being said, you can use your phone’s app to access Android Auto functionality with the XAV-AX100.
7. Kenwood DDX Double DIN SiriusXM Ready Bluetooth In-Dash DVD/CD/AM/FM Car Stereo Receiver
- SiriusXM Ready
- Many extra features
- Not the best sound quality, but not terrible either
- Only one/Two-DIN
The DDX6019s Kenwood double-DIN car stereo system is the top pick on our list because it combines the latest technology (Bluetooth, SiriusXM, and HD radio) in a highly affordable package.
This stereo system offers the most bang for your buck because it functions exceptionally well and brings a lot of extras to the table, like WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) display, an advanced remote, Bluetooth, SiriusXM, USB Port, and SD/MMC/MS Card compatibility, just to name a few.
8. BOSS Audio Systems BVCP9675A Car Multimedia Player
- A huge 6.75-inch touchscreen display for easy visibility
- You have separate buttons on the steering wheel in case you’re unable to view the screen
- Great sound quality
- Full Apple CarPlay support
- It’s compatible with mostly Android
- GPS positioning takes a while
The BOSS Audio Systems BVCP9675A is a wonderful head unit that has great sound quality with a double-DIN touchscreen for easy navigation. The head unit is one of the most popular head units and is easy to understand.
This will help users quickly learn how to use the interface and the various functions of it. The interface on this system is simple enough to figure out, which means you won’t have to spend hours reading the manual to figure it out. There’s a dedicated Android auto app button on the home screen for easy access.
The best part about this head unit is that it supports a wide range of file formats, including MP3, WMA, and more. It also has Bluetooth connectivity which you can easily activate for using your favorite headphones. The only issue is that you’ll have to pair it with a smartphone.
9. Kenwood Excelon DNX694S In-Dash Navigation
- Large 6.8 inches touchscreen display with built-in Bluetooth, Android Auto, Apple Carplay, SiriusXM, and HD radio for access to more music, sports, and information.
- Powerful amplifier delivers up to 50 watts (4×20 watts) of clear audio to keep your music loud and clear.
- Includes GPS navigation with six easy-to-use touchscreen-controlled favorites including two-year free of SiriusXM traffic.
- The Kenwood Excelon DNX694S provides multiple text information display options to customize your driving experience.(Dual text display, Digital clock display, Analog clock display, Source information display).
- The Kenwood Excelon DNX694S provides Bluetooth hands-free communication and wireless audio streaming.
- The Kenwood Excelon DNX694S provides preset EQ modes including rock, pop, jazz, country, classical, and flat to customize your music listening experience.
- The Kenwood Excelon DNX694S provides advanced audio features like Gapless playback, Bluetooth & USB connected control, and built-in HD Radio.
- The Kenwood Excelon DNX694S provides built-in HD Radio, AM/FM, & SiriusXM, plus DVD/CD/USB/iPod interface.
ILX-702 Single DIN Multimedia Receiver with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, SiriusXM, HD Radio, and Bluetooth.
10. PUMPKIN Android 8.0 Car Stereo Double Din 4GB
- Android 8.0 system
- One of the most complete features
- Car backup camera
- HDD + SD
- The volume and tempo may not be adjustable using the Apple CarPlay. For safety purposes, the volume and tempo can only be adjusted when the ignition is turned on.
- The Bluetooth cannot be used for music playback. Sound cannot be played through USB drives.
- The connection time is not stable when using the WiFi.
This one stays our final choice because of its features in Android 8.0. It comes with fastboot, car backup camera, hdd, sd, aux, BT, HIFI, and GPS. Considering the price, your money is not wasted because it meets the minimum for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Are Android head units worth it?
There's no doubt that Android head units are expensive, but what you get is the integration with your existing Android phone and a seamless experience. Many of the apps have a user interface that rivals their iPhone counterparts, and many apps are available for your convenience. While you cannot have Siri on an Android unit, you can have access to many of the same features, and with Google Assistant, you have a more powerful program assistant.
The screen on the Android Auto head units is also considerably larger. This is really the most important feature, as it's nice to have a unit with a larger display so that you aren't squinting to read your music options.
In terms of overall functionality, there really is no comparison between Android and Apple. While you cannot do as much with an Apple CarPlay head unit, and your in-car Google experience isn't going to be as customizable, there's a lot in Android Auto that you simply cannot get on the Apple.
Who makes the best car head units?
Clarion has been a leader in car DVD players for about two decades now. They offer an extensive range of models, with options ranging from 2 to 7-inch displays. Clarion is unique in that they have designed a snap-on controller that fits right on your car’s steering wheel. Once linked with your phone, you can access your music, radio stations, and even take calls, all via the steering wheel controls.
Another good option is Pioneer. They make some exceptionally high performing aftermarket head units and they are recommended over and over by car audio enthusiasts as the best value. One of their most popular models is their AVH-X5800BHS. In addition pioneers AVH-X5800BHS maintains a high level of quality and is quite affordable.
What is Android auto head unit?
Android auto head unit is the head unit which is especially designed for Android smartphones. It streams your favorite music, routes your calls and texts directly to its screen, and keeps you safe with navigation and hands-free calling.
Every new android mobile phone comes with android auto inbuilt and latest android smartphones also have it inbuilt. So you can easily connect it with your android smartphone. If your mobile phone has android auto then you can easily connect it with android auto head unit.
What is the best Pioneer head unit?
Pioneer Car systems are very easy to use. Just plug and play. You don’t need any special adaptor or DVD as the head unit comes with the built-in DVD which is pre-installed. It can accept analog and digital audio sources such as CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, USB or Aux input in addition to audio via Bluetooth.
The screen is an 8-inch screen with high resolution of 800 x 480. It’s touchscreen. The system comes with built-in GPS which may include one-year of OnStar Directions and Connections’ services from General Motors. It also comes with a high-sensitivity Wifi receiver which allows you to easily connect to the internet.
Android Auto is one of the best technological advancements in the car audio industry. It allows your smartphone to combine with your car stereo to provide you with excellent features like navigation, hands-free calling, voice recognition, the ability to stream music, and so much more. Keep reading for our top 10 list of Android Auto stereo units. Android Auto is one of the best technological advancements in the car audio industry. It allows your smartphone to combine with your car stereo to provide you with excellent features like navigation, hands-free calling, voice recognition, the ability to stream music, and so much more. Keep reading for our top 10 list of Android Auto stereo units.
|Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S Multimedia Receiver||Best Overall|
|BOSS Audio Systems BVCP9675A Car Multimedia Player||Budget Pick|